Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pamplona - the city of pee.

As some of you may know last weekend, 7/10, I got to scratch off one more thing on my bucket list : going to the San Fermin Festival – the Running of the Bulls.

It was quite the.. experience.

We took an overnight bus that left Valencia at 11 p.m. and arrived in Pamplona a little after 5. The minute we pulled in, there were people sleeping/passed out everywhere. On the streets, staircases, any little piece of ground was taken.

Personally I think it looked like a walk of shame hall of fame.

As we walked into the center of town we saw drunk people, people still drinking and dancing and I even saw one person throw up.

We needed to find a place to watch the race so we found a place around 7 a.m. and sat as patiently as you could for an hour squeezed with hundreds of people.

When it struck 8 a.m. you could feel people getting excited and my adrenaline spiked, too.

OH! There goes a whole bunch of people running.. OH WHAT! There’s some bulls! More people running! Over.

That’s it.. next time I’m running. I mean I already have the outfit, so why not!


The rest of the day consisted of people watching, talking to people from all over the world and trying not to inhale the smell of pee that the city was. I mean the entire place smelled like pee. It was the biggest gathering of dirty drunk non-homeless people I’ve ever seen. People celebrating everywhere you went, bars packed and people sleeping on the grass.

I imagine this is what Mardi Gras looks like? I guess I’ll find out in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment